No More Procrastinating: Do It Now!

16x20 Dinosaur Compositeig

Our Thoughts on 2017:  Do It Now  (or the dinosaur might get you)

When your “I really need to do this” list gets so big that you can’t ignore it anymore, it can be like a big, scary dinosaur chasing after you! (Although this one looks pretty tame, you get the point.)  Our mottos for 2017:   “Do It Now.”  and  “Done Is Better Than Perfect.”

Most people don’t realize this, but the photography business is maybe only 10% photography!  The other 90%  is the “business” part: accounting, marketing, administration, as well as social media postings, keeping an updated website, and BLOGGING. The way I have avoided blogging, you would think it was either illegal or fattening. . . . Ha!   I have loved to write ever since I was 7 or 8 and got my first diary, one that locked with a tiny key.  So, writing didn’t scare me. Why was I putting it off??

My new website was also a project that got stuck for months while I tried to make it perfect. It’s not perfect, but it’s DONE and it’s good enough for today. Tomorrow I will make it better. JUST DO IT  and GOOD ENOUGH are going to replace “it’s not perfect yet” in my mind in 2017. It’s much cooler to have an imperfect, but slightly more updated website than one that doesn’t reflect the current state of my business at all.

So back to the dinosaur story . . .  My daughter and I procrastinated on this senior photo shoot so long, that we almost missed the chance to include this image in her yearbook on her senior page.  Thank goodness we still got it done. This was her dream photo shoot . . . Jurassic Park with dinosaurs.  I made it happen. Barely.  I had to push her to set a date and I had to push myself to get it done. It wasn’t perfect or how we had exactly envisioned it, but we did it anyway and it was pretty darn cool.  Much cooler than if we had let time slip by and done nothing. And thank goodness I could get my favorite graphic artist to turn our image into art quickly! (So grateful for the mad skills of  The Retouch Diva!)  There’s never a perfect time for anything if you really think about it. There’s only now.

Any other perfectionistic procrastinators out there who can relate?  I think the biggest procrastinators are the men and women who won’t exist in photos because they want to lose weight or workout first. They have a million photos of their kids, pets, and spouses, but very few of themselves. I’m guilty of this as much as anyone. I promise you, your loved ones want to see you exist now and forever in images. Not photographed since high school or your wedding?  That needs to change!  And for goodness sake, PRINT OUT THOSE PHOTOS! Remember floppy discs? Our CDs and flash drives will be obsolete at some point. Prints last for decades or more. Do it now!! I can’t wait to see what my daughter’s kids and grandkids have to say about her Jurassic Park photo shoot one day!!!

Are you procrastinating on updating your own portraits on the wall or putting off trying a beauty or boudoir session because you have a million excuses why you think you don’t deserve one or think you don’t look good enough right now? Or maybe procrastinating on something else that means a lot to you like eating better, exercising more, taking time to smell the roses, spending more time with your family, learning something new, checking items off your “bucket list” . . . . Don’t put it off. Not doing what you really want to do or need to do just clogs up your mind with junk that just bogs you down in “lack of action land” even more. Don’t wait for the perfect time. Don’t wait for the planets and stars to align. Don’t wait for the anxiety to subside. Take that leap of faith off the cliff and you’ll grow wings.  Hmmmm . . .  maybe that should be the title of this blog instead???  “Take the Leap”? “Grow Some Wings”?  Never mind. This is good enough 🙂  Hitting the “Publish” button before it’s too late!!!

no comments
Add a comment...

Your email is never published or shared. Required fields are marked *

Menu